Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tips for the Happy Homemaker


Several years ago, I created this collage about homemaking. I clipped "helpful hints" from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I used to think these words of advice were so outdated, such perfect examples of Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique expectations for women. Now that I am older, I find these quotes charming and insightful.



  Betty's party advice is honest and simple. There is no mention of Martha Stewart's notion of "entertaining" guests or finding the correct cocktail glasses. Instead, Betty speaks of "welcoming" and "gathering".



 Though it may seem silly to remember little stories to share at mealtime, it also speaks to the importance of cherishing this family ritual. Rituals do not simply exist. They require on-going effort.




Although it won't change my life, adding a dash of cologne and simple earrings before breakfast does make me feel better.

Now, go put on an apron and bake some cookies. Yes, Break and Bake cookies count.


No comments:

Post a Comment