Saturday, September 3, 2011

Squirrel Brain Day


Maybe it's too much coffee, but I am having trouble focusing today. 
I've got a bad case of squirrel brain.
I've been working on a collage for a friend of mine and I am almost done. 
Perhaps my brain is already searching for the next nut, I mean project.
I am completely distracted by everything in my studio.

Ooooh shiny paint!



Old lace. I want to touch it!



















Hmmm....What could I do with these?



















Ok, so back to the collage... it has been fun. I made it for my friend's son,
a young, jazz-loving musician. 
I tried to summon Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis as I put the pieces together.
Hopefully I have not also conjured up Jim Neighbors and Zamfir, King of the Pan Flute.




I get a little rattled making art for someone else, but I know it is good for me. 
It is challenging to stay true to your own style 
while trying to make something that you think someone else will like.
Since I am new at this, I wonder... does that feeling of "gee, I hope they like it" ever go away?





Now that this project is almost complete, I need something new to tackle.
I can't decide where to start.

I think I will have to ride out the rodent state of mind until something sticks. 
This part of the creative process is annoying, 
but it will pass. 
In the meantime, I have holes to dig out in the backyard.






1 comment:

  1. Fantastic job! Bet your friend and her son were really pleased!

    ReplyDelete