Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another Bra


Today I am singing praises to my bra. As a small-chested person, this contraption has boosted both my bust line and my self-esteem for most of my life. Bras have been creeping into my artwork for many years. I once wrote a farewell to padded bras, convinced that I should give them up and just be my ironing board-chested self. That didn't last long. I missed the fancy ones.

A few years ago, I dreamed up a whole quilt of bra-shaped geometrical shapes. My mom belongs to a quilting group that meets in the basement of a tiny white church in Red Oak, Missouri. I've met the ladies and would love to hear their take on a bra quilt. I actually think they would get a kick out of it.

Last summer, I created a wire and paper sculpture called "We All Need a Little Support." (Some of you might have seen it in the November / December issue of Cloth Paper Scissors.)

And here I go again. 
I didn't start this collage thinking of a bra. In fact, I thought it would be complete as a simple patchwork quilt on the math paper. But it needed something and that something was another bra.

I created this little collage to send in for the latest CPS challenge. The challenge is to create a mostly fabric postcard and mail it in. I am a little nervous to mail this, but that is part of the adventure. Maybe I will make a postman (or woman) smile.

If your 2012 goal was to ramp up your crafty, I encourage you to visit the CPS website for the challenge details and enter your own postcard creation. Taking the time to enter a reader challenge has always been worth the effort for me. Every challenge pushes me to think in a new direction. I also enjoy the challenge of creating something within a deadline. Kinda brings a little excitement into my studio.

Postcards aren't due until January 20th!

4 comments:

  1. I love both of your bra artwork. They put a smile on my face. Thank you for posting about the CPS postcard challenge. I need to remind myself to check out CPS website weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm working on now! I've just finished one and am stitching up the second one. Or at least that's what I'll be doing when I'm done typing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your postcard Jenny! Very colorful and fun, like all of your work. Have you thought of doing something for breast cancer awareness with your bra series? It seems like it would be a good fit.

    I just (finally) finished two postcards and got them in the mail today - yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, I have indeed thought about doing something for breast cancer awareness. My sister is a two year survivor, so perhaps that is why bras keep showing up! My mom and I are already talking about collaborating on a bra project!

    ReplyDelete